When taco night rolls around, it’s nice to have an alternative dish in mind that’s easy on cleanup and still guaranteed to please the whole family.
Enter taco pie. Sometimes called “taco lasagna,” this taco bake is so easy to whip up in the cast iron skillet for a no-fuss weeknight dinner! Layers of beef, vegetables, melty cheese and soft tortillas capture the flavor of your favorite Mexican dish—without the mess.
Easy Iron Skillet Taco Pie
Easy taco pie with tortillas, ground beef, veggies and cheese cooks up beautifully in your iron skillet! It's the perfect no-fuss weeknight meal.
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (8-oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- a pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 soft tortillas, taco-sized (we used whole wheat)
- 1 package Mexican-blend shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. To make the beef filling, heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and bell peppers, and sauté until translucent. Add garlic, and cook for about a minute more.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet, and cook until beef is no longer pink. Skim off any excess fat with a spoon and discard. Add tomato sauce and spices, then season with salt and pepper. Cook for about a minute more, then set aside.
- Place a tortilla in the bottom of an 8-inch cast iron skillet—depending on the seasoning on your skillet, you may want to rub the inside with a drizzle of olive oil. Spoon 1/3 of the ground beef mixture on top and spread it out, leaving a margin of about 1 inch from the edge of the tortilla. Top with a layer of cheese, and place another tortilla on top. Repeat layers twice more, ending with the fourth and final tortilla. Top with a layer of cheese.
- Bake at 375° for about 15–20 minutes, or until tortilla edges are crisp and cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Cut into slices and serve with a dollop of sour cream and sliced green onions or chopped cilantro.